.NewOrleansChurches.Com®
Photography by John and Kathleen DeMajo

SAINT PETER CLAVER CATHOLIC CHURCH
1923 St. Philip Street, New Orleans, LA

 
 
HISTORY AND INFORMATION

This church building was constructed in the late 1800's as St. Ann's Catholic Church. When the National Shrine Of St. Ann was constructed at 2127 Ursuline Avenue in the 1920's, this church became an African-American Catholic Church and was given the name St. Peter Claver Parish.

The church is believed to have a Pilcher organ at the time of construction, and it is further believed that the Pilcher was later moved to the new St. Ann parish church. The organ in use at this church was a Conn electronic organ. The present organ is not known.

Return to New Orleans Churches Index