Photography by John and Kathleen DeMajo
THIRD PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
2540 Esplanade Avenue, New Orleans, LA.
(Church was closed prior to Hurricane Katrina- Building was later sold to a private individual)
Third Presbyterian Church of New Orleans held its final service on Sunday August 1, 2004. After one-hundred fifty-seven years of service, and with eighteen members left in the congregation, a decision was made to discontinue services. The building sustained damage during Katrina and it was sold to a private party several years later.
The Third Presbyterian Church congregation roots stemmed from the early 1800's when a group of Christian workers established a Sabbath school in the City's Third District. Many of these workers were destined for Texas, but remained in New Orleans and settled here. In 1845, the school was moved to a home on Chartres Street, and then to 181 Esplanade Avenue. On March 7, 1847, after a sermon by Rev. William A. Scott, D.D., The Third Presbyterian Church of New Orleans was formed. The present building dates from 1924, and was built at a cost of $52,000.
The church's pipe organ dates to 1910 and is M. P. Moller Opus 1181. It was a donation from Andrew Carnegie. The organ's specifications are listed at the bottom of this page.
ORGAN SPECIFICATION FOR M.P. MOLLER OPUS 1181 (Constructed 1910)
|Bourdon 16||Open Diapason 8||Bourdon 16|
|Lieblich Gedeckt 16||Melodia 8||Lieblich Gedeckt 8|
|Flute 8||Dulciana 8||Salicional 8|
|Great to Pedal||Open Diapason 4||Celeste 8|
|Great to Pedal 4||Principal 2||Principal 4|
|Swell to Pedal||Blank||Flute Traverse 4|
|Swell to Pedal 4||Chimes||Quint 2-2/3|
|Great 16||Flute 2|
|Great 4||Oboe D'Orchestre 8|
|Great Unison Off||Blank|
|Swell to Great 16||Tremolo|
|Swell to Great||Swell 16|
|Swell to Great 4||Swell 4|
|Swell Unison Off|
|Presets: 4 Great, 4 Swell,|
|4 General pistons|
Information regarding OPUS and date of construction was kindly provided by Mr. James R. Stettner, president of Puget Sound Pipe Organs, Seattle Wa.
|This organ was installed as a tubular pneumatic instrument. It was converted to electro-pneumatic action in the 1950's.|
Return to New Orleans Churches Index