NewOrleansChurches.Com®
Photography by John and Kathleen DeMajo

VALENCE STREET BAPTIST CHURCH
Magazine at Valence Street, New Orleans,
LA.
 

Historic information provided by a former minister who was kind enough to provide the information to New Orleans Churches staff:

VSBC was started soon after the founding of the Southern Baptist Convention in 1845. The SBC initiated the Domestic Mission Board with the goal, among others, of evangelizing New Orleans. VSBC began as part of that strategy.

While on staff, older members had many stories. The building, on the corner of Magazine & Valence, originally faced Valence Street, thus the name. When more education space was needed, the building was raised, turned to face Magazine, and what is now the ground floor was built.

The original pipe organ, as the story was told, was donated by Dr. Tichenor. Yes, the antiseptic Dr. Tichenor. A fire destroyed that organ but, at the time we were there, the fire damaged piano was still in use, along with a Hammond organ. The Hammond may remain today.

You are likely aware that VSBC was used in a scene for the movie “Ray.”

Gary N. Nichols

:

ORGAN INFORMATION

No further information is available on the present organ in use in this church

 

Return to New Orleans Churches Index