HISTORY OF ZION LUTHERAN CHURCH
New Orleans, La.
On September 12, 1847, a group of immigrants living in uptown New Orleans
met for their first service as a German-speaking Lutheran congregation.
On March 18, 1849, the congregation dedicated its first church building at
1833 Euterpe Street near Baronne.
They relocated to the present site and dedicated their new church on
December 6, 1871. The church lost its steeple in the 1915 hurricane and, for
safety reasons, the present short steeple replaced it. By 1928 all Zion’s
services were in English.
Zion today is a diverse congregation, with members living all over the metro
area, a member church of The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, offering
traditional worship, and welcoming visitors from all over the world.